Mission statement: knowledge and technology transfer
KU Leuven Research & Development (LRD) is the technology transfer office (TTO) of the KU Leuven Association. Ever since 1972, LRD has been building bridges between science and industry. By transferring knowledge and technologies to society and the marketplace, LRD advances the impact of research results on people’s lives around the globe. LRD has developed a solid tradition of collaborating with industry, securing and licensing intellectual property rights, creating spin-off companies and stimulating knowledge-driven regional development. LRD supports researchers throughout the entire knowledge and technology transfer process and helps them to best leverage the societal and economic potential of their research.
The knowledge and technology transfer activities of LRD include:
- Collaborating with industry: Companies often turn to the university to answer part of their R&D needs, instead of performing the whole process themselves. When researchers collaborate with industry, LRD sets up well-balanced collaboration agreements. Specifically for European consortium projects, LRD's EU advisors guide researchers in administrative, financial and legal matters during the entire project life cycle;
- Managing intellectual property: LRD helps researchers to protect their intellectual property and devise appropriate strategies for transferring the intellectual property from the university to industry;
- Creating spin-off companies: LRD assists researchers during the start-up phase and guides them through the process of translating a business idea into a real company. LRD also provides researchers access to seed capital, through the KU Leuven Gemma Frisius Fund, and appropriate lab and office space in one of Leuven's incubators and science parks;
- Promoting entrepreneurship and innovation by stimulating networking initiatives such as Leuven.Inc (Leuven Innovation Networking Circle) and technology clustering such as DSP Valley and LSEC (Leuven Security Excellence Consortium);
- Stimulating and cultivating knowledge-driven regional development: in close collaboration with the city of Leuven, the province of Vlaams-Brabant, and the Flemish and European government, LRD supports the development of a favourable climate for knowledge-driven entrepreneurship and innovation. LRD is a founding partner of Leuven Mindgate, which internationally positions Leuven as one of Europe's most prolifc regions for high-tech business development and innovation. Leuven is also part of the ELAt-network which connects the knowledge regions of Eindhoven, Leuven and Aachen.